Why my attorney is holding on my deed?

Rock Hill, SC |

I am living in PA ,But I bought a house in SC 3 months ago.My attorney is holding on my deed and not sending it to me! What can I do? I don't know why he is doing it?

Ask your attorney in writing. After you send the letter, call the attorney to make sure the letter arrived. If he or she does not reply in a reasonable time, contact the SC Bar Client Assistance Program (http://www.scbar.org/PublicServices/ClientAssistanceProgram.aspx). That will probably get the matter resolved.

In the unlikely case that does not resolve the issue, you can contact the SC Judicial Department, Commission on Lawyer Conduct (http://www.sccourts.org/discCounsel/index.cfm).

The deed may be in the process of being recorded and microfiched, but should be available fairly soon. If there was a problem with t he closing or the deed instrument, your attorney should be able to explain that to you and should explain that to you.

•The material on the site is made available with the understanding that this author is not engaged in providing professional legal advice. •Before relying on material on the site users should independently verify the accuracy, completeness and relevance for their purposes and obtain any appropriate professional legal advice. •The material on this site may include opinions, recommendations or other content from third parties that do not necessarily reflect this author's views. •Links to other Web sites are included for the user’s convenience and do not constitute this author's endorsement of the material on those sites, or any associated product or service. •The listing of a person or company in any part of this site in no way implies any form of endorsement by this author of products or services provided by that person or company. •The questioner is advised to consult an attorney for legal advice as to that person's particular situation.

Paul is correct, you should ask for an answer in writing. Have you got a clocked copy of the deed indicating that it has been recorded? If so, you should be OK on this. In my county, the general time to get a deed back is about six weeks. Three months is a bit long.

This answer is for general advice and does not create an attorney client relationship with James Mosteller.