Why is USCIS asking for my W-2s?

Rochester, NY |

A few weeks ago, I went to my citizenship appointment. The officer said that he could not make a decision and that he would bump it up to his supervisor. I just a received letter from USCIS asking for my W-2 forms. I did not submit these because I never got one from my employer as I made less than $600 in one year as a consultant and my employer said that they were not legally obligated to send a w-2 or 1099 for less than 600. I also did not file taxes on these because I was told by my tax advisor that I didnt need to because it was under 600 USD. I don't work anywhere else. I have printouts of my checks and I will send it to them, but could this be an issue that they would deny me citizenship as I had intentions to file but was told not to?

taxes are important for citizenship as they may be evidence of your "character". You should certainly seek assistance from a qualified tax adviser if you believe your taxes are accurately filed (in the way of a signed letter from a tax adviser confirming this). Also, you should seek assistance from an immigration attorney to handle the issue.

Dhenu Savla
SwagatUSA, LLC
www.swagatusa.com

P.S. See my recent blog post on this very topic: www.swagatusa.com/blog

You really should have an attorney assist you at this point. You only have to file if you are required to file.

Did you fail to file required taxes? Did you lie to USCIS? This is why they are requesting this info, but it is hard to speculate. I would hire a lawyer as USCIs is digging into your case

For more immigration information, please visit www.immigrate2usa.com

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 www.immigrate2usa.com Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 nfleischer@immigrate2usa.com Enjoy our Blog at http://immigrate2usa.blogspot.com/

Tax law topics