Why is the number of people processed per year for "first" preference category significantly lower than F2 preference.

Brooklyn, NY |

Logic would dictate that the first preference would have the largest fixed rate; then if anything was left over it would trickle down. The large processing rate of F2 makes that all moot. What is the reasoning behind that? Is this to stop the potential influx of LPRs from becoming United States citizens?

Logic? Questioning the logic of US immigration policy is not always fruitful. The F-2 category includes spouses and children of LPRs, which Congress may deem a "more important" relationship than adult sons or daughters of US Citizens.

Congress sets the rules.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics

Recommended articles about Form I-130 (alien relative)