Skip to main content

Why is the insurance broker giving me a hard time?

Marina Del Rey, CA |

Hello , I was injured while on a bicycle tour for the company . I spoke with the company I purchased the tour from ( an on line travel agent ) , and they said that they required and had proof on file that the bike company had accident insurance . The insurance broker has stated that they don't and only have liability insurance , and that I need to sue if I am filing a claim , etc . I just want them to cover the medical work . I don't understand what the reason for giving me the runaround is , or if this woman is outright lying since the travel agent has stated that the bike company has presented an accident policy ?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Insurance companies typically give "people" a run around. They have less success doing that with attorneys. Hire one that works in the world of personal injury to pursue your claims.

    Best of luck to you.

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

  2. Hire a personal injury attorney and let them sort this out for you. You will feel much better not having to deal with this and deal with injuries at the same time. Good luck.

  3. Have a local attorney investigate.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

  4. I think you are having a problem due to sloppy use of terms. Liability ins is to cover damges suffered by someone who is injured due to the fault of the insured (the bike company). You dont say how you were injured. if the bike had defective brakes and that caused you to crash, you would have a liability claim against the bike co. The travel agent is using the terms accident insurance probably erroneously, and means liability ins. I assume you think "accident" insurance is like a medical no fault policy that covers if you are in an accident while on the tour, even if it the accident was your own fault like not looking where you were riding and crashing into something as a result. You need to review all papers, contracts, brochures, and the website of the travel agent and bike co to see what they say if anything about ins and the type and coverage provided. if they represented to you that there was accident insurancethat covered you, and htere isnt, you may have a case. get the papers etc togther and meet with a local atty.

  5. Liability insurance is 'accident ' insurance. However, they are only going to cover your claim if there was negligence by the tour company (I assuming everything went down in Calif) in causing your incident. get the insurance info, contact a lawyer and make your claim.

  6. You may have your own insurance, in which case you adjuster might deal with this headache you present. Otherwise, I'd have an attorney familiar with applicable types of insurance look into this since you did not succeed on your own.

  7. Gather all the documentation you can about the bike tour/bike rental, the accident, and your injuries and contact an attorney to discuss your case. If there is negligence on the part of the tour company, then you can pursue such a claim. If the bike itself was not properly maintained, then you can pursue a claim against the bike rental company. If there was a manufacturing defect related to the bike, then you can pursue a claim against the bike manufacturer. If the claim is denied, then you would need to consider whether or not to file a lawsuit. When doing so, you need to look at what are you damages when considered the best course of action. If you have minimal medical expenses and minor injuries, then small claims may be the best venue for suing for the responsible party. If you have large bills or a significant injury or long term residual injuries, then you would likely prosecute your case in the unlimited superior court. I agree with the comments above. You should consult a person injury attorney at this time.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics