Skip to main content

Why is my unemployment claim denied after being granted by the state of ohio

Lisbon, OH |

i was terminated by wal mart stores inc after the first offense. the state of ohio didnt have enough due cause in paperwork to have my claim denied now wal mart appealed the claim and i have to pay every cent back what can i do to get it over turned in my favor

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


In any unemployment action, where the State finds that the employee as not terminated with cause and allows unemployment, the employer has the right to appeal the decision.
Likewise, you have a right to appeal the decision to disallow your unemployment. If you refer to the bottom of the decision, which you most likely received by mail, there are instructions of how to file a timely appeal. If you plan to do so, you must act quickly as there is a time limit on when an appeal can be filed.

I would also suggest that you meet with an employment attorney who can help you through the appeal process.

Lori A. Strobl
Strobl and Associates, Co. L.P.A.
1015 E. Centerville Station Rd.
Centerville, Ohio 45459
(937) 496-1450

This website contains general information only. The information contained in this website is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice on any subject matter or intended as advertising or a solicitation. Readers should not rely on the information presented on this website for any purpose without seeking legal advice on the specific facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney in the reader’s state. The information in this website contains general information which is intended, but cannot be guaranteed, to be always up-to-date, complete and accurate. Any representation or warranty that might be otherwise implied is expressly disclaimed. Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility with respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the information contained in this website. Readers should not consider the information presented on this website to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship, and the transmission of such information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, and attorney-client relationship between the reader and Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. The content of any Internet e-mail sent to Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. or to its attorneys at the e-mail addresses set forth in this website will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not be treated as confidential. Readers should be aware that communications via the Internet may not be secure. Strobl & Associates Co., L.P.A. does not necessarily endorse, and is not responsible for, any third-party content that may be accessed through this website.


If you received notification that the original determination is reversed, you must file your own appeal within the time allotted by the notice. If you do that, the file will be sent to the Unemployment Comp Review Commission for an evidentiary hearing. The hearing officers are ususally favorable to the claimant, and the burden of proof is on the company. But if you have any doubts, you must see a lawyer immediately.

Neil Scott Rubin

Neil Scott Rubin


While I agree with Attorney Moore about the appeals process, I disagree that the hearing officers are usually favorable to the claimant. (Employee). The hearing rules are very loose and done over the phone unless a request for an in-person hearing is filed within 10 days. I always recommend an in-person hearing because some "funny" things happen when you can not see the other parties. In any event you really need a lawyer soon to advise. Otherwise you will be on the hook for the entire amount you have already collected as well as some other penalties. Don't delay.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer