Why is my name on a drug conspiracy charge with boyfriend when I had nothing to do with it?

Asked 6 months ago - Petoskey, MI

My boyfriend recently got a few charges one being a conspiracy drug charge (not sure if it's for marijuana or subutex) we wont know until he gets his papers at the arraignment but he got a glance at the charges when his bail bondsman came in to bond him out. He said on the paper it said his name "and/or" my name for the drug conspiracy charge. I would assume if my name was on it and I was a co conspirator that I would be arrested ( they know where I live) or have a warrant out for my arrest which neither is the case!? Is this charge just a bunch of bull? I was NEVER involved in any of his charges or talked about committing any sort of crime...could it be because I'm with him? Just wanted to ask because I have been so stressed out worrying about this and me not doing anything wrong.

1. J. Matthew Catchick Jr.

Pro

9

1

Best Answer

Answered . First, you need to 100% confirm you are not being formally charged. If you DO get charged, my kind but VERY strong advice is to not speak AT ALL with the police nor prosecutor without first consulting with a criminal defense attorney. I would not agree to ANY interviews nor make ANY statements to the police without a lawyer present, at ALL times. I wish you and your boyfriend all the best of luck. Warmest regards, Matt Catchick.

2. David B. Carter Jr.

Pro

7

1

Answered . Your boyfriend can be charged and convicted of a conspiracy charge without the co conspirator ever being formally charged. This might be the case here. It is an odd way of doing it but it can be done this way.

3. Joshua Sachs

5

1

Answered . I urge you to retain a criminal defense attorney in your state who can look into the situation and find out what is going on. Your friend may have misread or misunderstood what may be a preliminary charging document. You may be named but not charged. You may be charged, already or in the future. Do not approach the police or the prosecutor yourself. Have an attorney do it for you, and you stay behind the shield of your attorney's protection. And I agree with my colleague. Quit posting about this matter and quit talking about it. What you say to your lawyer is protected by the strictest confidentiality known to the law. What you say to anybody else belongs to the entire world, all the more so for what you publish on the internet. Silence and your attorney are your best and only friends.

4. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

4

1

Answered . The state has a tendency to throw the book at anyone who they have facts against. They must have probable cause, which merely amounts to a crime has been committed and we think the defendant did it. Even though you know you did not commit any crime, the state can charge you. If the state charges you, it is always best to get a seasoned criminal defense attorney on your side.

5. Stephen F Wallace

3

Answered . If you are worried, you need an attorney. Conspiracy is very serious and will divide you and your boyfriend quick. Get an attorney to review any criminal liability exposure here.