Why is my immigration lawyer asking for $3200 15 days before my final court date for political asylum?

Worcester, MA |
Filed under: Political asylum

Lawyer told me 2x that I have no more to pay n has asked me 2x for $900 which I have sent now Im due in court in 15 days and she is asking for $3200 to do"papers" what papera would she be doing 15 days before court that ould cost $3200

The best way to get an answer to this particular question is to ask your lawyer. We are not mind readers here at Avvo and cannot guess what your lawyer has (or does not) have in mind.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

You would have to ask your lawyer.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

It's best for you to talk to your lawyer about this.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

Because every work is supposed to be compensated. $3200 does not sound too bad at all.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Starting January 1st, 2013, Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court requires lawyers in MA must have fee agreement in writing upon taking a case, the scope of the representation and basis of the fee and expenses must be communicated to the client in writing.

Failure to do so, a lawyer could get in to trouble.

You have every right to find out what exactly "the $3200 papers" are.

J.W.LAW, Office locations: Quincy & Worcester, MA, New York Tel. 617.221.3030 If you find the attorneys' answers are helpful, please thank the attorneys by marking their answers "helpful" or "best answers" so that they can get their credit from AVVO. The attorneys donate their time on AVVO to answer legal questions for free merely contribute their legal advice and do not create any legal representation relationships.