Why is my divorce taking so long in NY?

Asked about 2 years ago - Patchogue, NY

My wife was served with my attorney's letter over 4 months ago, and she and her attorney have failed to respond and produce the income information requested. There has been no contact or movement on my case. Can my attorney file a complaint for divorce so I can end the saga? If not, what can I do?

1. Paul Karl Siepmann

Pro

3

Answered . There are things your attorney can do to get the case moving along. Push them. If you are not satisfied with your attorney's efforts, find another one. Any unearned fee must be refunded to you.

2. David Alexander Browde

Pro

2

Answered . An attorney's letter is utterly ineffective as a device to compel any particular action in a divorce case. Your attorney should know what to do next...if he or she doesn't, that's a problem.

3. Hayley R. Greenberg

2

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your situation.

SInce you have an attorney you should really contact her/him and discuss your concerns as there may other issues happening that you are unaware of or there might be some strategy that you are not following. If you are not happy with your attorney you should consider finding a new one.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.
    Hayley Greenberg
    Greenberg & Merola, LLP
    Attorneys at Law
    521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700
    New York, NY 10175
    (212) 593-6111, facsimile (516) 887-1720
    (Additional offices: Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island)
    www.GreenbergMerola.com

4. Susan Kathleen Duke

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with the reply below. While starting with a letter to see if a quick settlement may be brokered may make sense, when a response is not obtained within a couple of weeks the actual commencing of the divorce and having your wife served with actual divorce papers should be explored. The actual filing and service of a summons for divorce is the only thing that will require her to respond.

5. Virginia Giselle Alvarez

1

Answered . From the information provided I am believing that what your attorney served was a notice that you wanted a divorce and that you were hoping to do this uncontested with an agreement. If no response is received your next step is to file and serve the complaint in the action. This is not to say you cannot still reach an agreement and attempt an uncontested action but will get things moving. Once she is served she will need to respond in a certain amount of time. More importantly with these set times you will be able to at least get a better understanding what it is she is looking for. How long the case itself takes depends on whether you reach an agreement what kinds of disclosure is needed and also the courts caseload.
    You do have an attorney who you should speak to. If you feel it is not a good attorney client fit you can retain new counsel.