WHY IS MY CASE STATUS LISTED AS RE-OPEN AFTER I ENTERED A DEFERRAL PROGRAM AND AGREED TO COMMUNITY SERVICE. PRIOR TO THIS MY

Marco Island, FL |

DEFENSE LAWYER WAIVED THE RIGHT TO A SPEEDY TRIAL WITHIN 90 DAYS FROM ARREST. (FLORIDA LAW) ANOTHER TRIAL DATE WAS SET BUT THEN I AGREED TO THE DEFERRAL PROGRAM AND NOW HAVE A COURT DATE TO SHOW PROOF OF COMMUNITY SERVICE. SO WHY IS CASE STATUS REOPEN? ALSO WHEN DOES A NO CONTACT ORDER END? (THIS IS IN ADDITION TO COMM. SERVICE)?

THANKS

1. The case is likely listed as open because the case simply isn't closed. The program simply defers prosecution but it doesn't close the case. When you successfully complete the program the case gets dismissed, but that hasn't happened yet and so the case is still open. The case is open because you still have additional court dates. The no contact order, in the case, will end when the case is closed. Of course, if the person obtained an injunction against you civilly then that order will be unrelated to the criminal case.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

2. The case could be reopened due to unsuccessful completion of a diversion program. Call your lawyer and ask them.

3. Rather than speculating on your circumstances and asking this question on this forum, I encourage you to call your lawyer. He/she will be much better suited to explain the status of your case.

Posting an answer to your question does not create an attorney / client relationship such that you can or should rely on the information provided herein to take action. Instead, it is intended to simply provide you with information. I am not your lawyer and cannot provide you with legal advice unless and until I am hired to do so.