Why is it foolish for a defendant to proceed in a criminal defense matter as pro se?

Asked almost 2 years ago - 11415

Queens County

1. Thomas J Callahan

14

Best Answer

Answered . The obvious answer - you don't know the law, rules of evidence, procedures, etc. and screwing up will cost you your liberty.

2. Galen J Criscione

14

Answered . Because it is much better to have an attorney - someone who can navigate through the legal process, procedure, is familiar with the court system, etc. Even a lawyer shouldn't represent themselves in a criminal case because you need someone that can take an objective legal approach to your defense. A criminal charge is not something you want to take lightly, so that is why you should have a lawyer handle it.

3. Atousa Saei

Pro

12

Answered . As my colleagues have both said, not hiring a lawyer to represent you properly could cost you your liberty. I would strongly suggest you hire an experienced to represent you in court. Best of luck.

4. James Hal Medows

10

Answered . I believe that only a fool defends him/herself because you cannot be objective in handling the case. As much as a lawyer cares about his/her client, he will be detached and non-emtional when advocating on behalf of the client.

5. Paul Karl Siepmann

Pro

8

Answered . Because the vast majority of Pro Se defendants are not experienced criminal defense attorneys and even those that are, if they're not crazy or stupid, retain counsel.

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

----- Reply message -----
    ---------------------------------------- This email was sent by: Avvo, Inc. 1501 4th AveSuite 1900 Seattle, WA, 98101-1588, USA We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy. ( http://click.mail5.avvo.com/?qs=2090c14cc65e953... ) ----------------------------------------