Why is it a week after I post my first question on this site the IRS contacted me?

Birmingham, AL |

I received 2 letters at my home address from the IRS, both letters claiming to be from IRS depts NOT from the state I live in, but from an outside state. I find it both strange and a red flag, because I know that my state has local IRS offices, so there would be NO NEED to use an IRS office from two different states to contact me at home. BEYOND WEIRED OUT. I will not be responding to the letters, but am going to hire me an attorney to settle this matter with my local IRS department.

1. I do recommend hiring an attorney. However, the IRS has different departments in different areas. Some of the IRS work is dividing my geographic and type of work. As soon as you hire your tax professional they will figure out where you are in the IRS process. I wish you good luck and success to resolving your issues.

Isai Bismark Cortez, Esq. www.bismarktax.com Office 855-829-6055 DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. THIS IS GENERAL INFORMATION AND LAWS VARY FROM STATE TO STATE. PLEASE CHECK WITH A LOCAL ATTORNEY OR CONTACT THE IRS OR STATE TAXING AUTHORITY WITH ANY QUESTIONS.

2. Hiring an attorney is a wise step. Keep in mind that while the general advice on this site is helpful, it is also public. And I agree with my colleague's advice and explanation regarding the IRS.

Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

3. Most IRS notices are generated by a computer system and sent out from various service centers across the country, depending on the issue. I wouldn't consider it a red flag. In fact, notices rarely come out from a local office.

Hiring an attorney is probably a wise decision. For most issues, calling the national hotline vs. the local office makes little difference, but we'll leave those decisions to your representative.

Robert Hoffman is a tax attorney licensed in California. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For competent advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.