Why in the state of Il. when 2 people own a home equally left to them by their parents ,as stated in the trust,one can live

Asked over 2 years ago - New Lenox, IL

in the home and the other is still expected to pay half the taxes and insurance?The mortgage is paid off. It seems one person benetfits and the other does not.I have my own mortgage and taxes. I think I am owed money.Isn't the person living in the house a tenant? What is fair? If the house was being rented I would be making money

1. James Brian Thomas

5

Answered . Your answer lies within the terms of the Trust itself, and you should seriously consider taking the Trust document and your concerns to an attorney. The Trust's terms might be written in any of a variety of ways, and the terms should evidence the intent of the person(s) that made the Trust to begin with.

Does the Trust document include any provision about occupancy? Is this live-in arrangement the product of the Trust's terms or simply a product of one beneficiary taking advantage of another? Does the Trust document discuss the items that concern you, including the mortgage, taxes and expenses of upkeep?

If the Trust truly distributes the property in equal shares, then the beneficiaries should be equally liable for the expenses that come along with the property. Nobody benefits from a vacant house, but if one beneficiary is receiving a premium by virtue of occupying the house as well, then certainly that benefit should be taken into consideration when allocating the expenses. You'd be well-served to take your concerns to an attorney near you in order to fully appreciate the situation that you find yourself in.

2. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

2

Answered . That is a very complete answer from my colleague. There is no special law in IL that would require you to pay expenses in this situation while another reaps the benefits. The trust might be unusual enough to do that, but even then perhaps you could get a reverse mortgage to cover that. More likely is that your are being deceived, and need to see an trust law attorney.

3. Paul A. Smolinski

Pro

1

Answered . I very much enjoyed reading the other attorneys answers - they are both very good!

Bottom line is that you need to consult with an attorney so that you understand what the terms of the trust and what rights you have against the co-beneficiary. This situation, unfortunately, is not uncommon and when real estate is owned in a land trust or revocable trust this can be a big problem.

Take a look at naela.org for an estate planning attorney in your area. Good Luck!