Why does some attorney's have LLP? What does LLP means?

San Francisco, CA |
Filed under: Estate planning

i HAVE NOTICE THAT SOME ATTORNEY AT LAW HAVE "LLP" on their heading, can you explained. Are they real attorney?

In addition, some states require that attorneys and other licensed professionals form their practice as either a "Professional Corporation," (hence P.C.), or as a Professional Limited Liability Company (or partnership), (PLLC, PLC, or PLLP or PLP..or in your state, LLP). This has nothing to do with the lawyers themselves. It is simply the form of business entity that they have set up.

James Frederick

I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state.

2. LLP stands for "Limited Liability Partnership." It is a type of business entity or organization, like an LLC (Limited Liability Company), LP (LImited Partnership,), etc.

Please remember to mark what you believe to be the best answer to your question. This answer is provided by estate planning attorney Robert P. Bergman, with offices in San Jose, California. Mr. Bergman is a Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law (State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization), and has been practicing since 1980. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship, and is only intended to provide general legal advice within the limits of the question asked. If you wish to create an attorney-client relationship for specific legal advice, it will be necessary to enter into an engagement for legal services. More general legal information about wills, living trusts, and estate planning can be found at Mr. Bergman's main website at www.lawbob.com, or his information website at www.lawbob.net. Mr. Bergman also offers free living trust seminars and wealth preservation seminars at his offices in San Jose. For those unable to attend a live seminar, an online living trust seminar may be viewed or downloaded at www.freelivingtrustseminar.com.

3. Lawyers can only practice as an LLP in California, not an LLC. As my colleagues have pointed out, it means a LImited Liability Partnership.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Wills and estates topics