Why does everyone say you have to have a lawyer to file for Early Term of Probation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sherman, TX

I'm on my 4th yr of 5 yr for possession m trying to spend as little as possible.

Additional information

All the info I typed didn't stay. I want to know if I just file the request myself is it going to be dismissed?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Macy Michelle Jaggers


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can file it yourself. I think the attorney suggestion is because the judge will take it more seriously coming from an attorney--especially an attorney he knows. And an attorney will know what arguments work with your judge to get the best result.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers... more
  2. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Ms. Jaggers gives a grade "A" answer.

    Probationers generally have very little credibility with the court. For some reason, when filtered through an attorney's presentation to the court, the points the probationer wants to make often seem to be much more believable to the court.

    Also, if the probationer is not a lawyer, the probationer is likely to "leave chips on the table" as the saying goes. A simple termination of probation early is not the same as a termination early with the conviction set aside and the case dismissed. A pleading (meaning a written request to the court done formally according to the applicable rules of procedure)...a pleading is a technically complex document that ought to cite the various laws that govern the situation. Do you know those laws.

    I could go on. Instead, I recommend that anyone seeking early termination seek the advice and assistance of a good criminal defense lawyer.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,866 answers this week

2,871 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,866 answers this week

2,871 attorneys answering