Why do the court assign you a court appointed lawyer is that they secret way of saying and knowing I have no chance

Beaumont, TX |

because they chose the lawyer for me and since the court choose the lawyer for me they know he's really working for the court and not me.

1. You are given a public defender usually because you have requested one due to your financial situation. There is no grand conspiracy. Public defenders are dedicated amd skilled advocates who are underpaid AND underappreciated. They work hard for their clients, but if you feel as though there is a conspiracy then put together the necessary finances to hire yourself a private lawyer. If you cannot afford a lawyer of your choice then stop grumbling and appreciate the fact that since Gideon v. Wainwright a court appointed lawyer will work for you for free. Of course, you are free to reject a court appointed lawyer and represent yourself. It can't be that hard right?

2. The Court appointed you an attorney from the Office of the Public Defender due to your motion based on your indigent status. The court did not select the individual attorney only their office. The public defender has an obligation to the client alone, not to the court. His/her obligation is to represent you to the best of their ability. Public defenders are "real Lawyers" whose loyalty is to the client. They are overworked and underpaid but they are good lawyers.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

3. They are appointed many times because you are charged with a felony offense and even if you have decided to represent yourself, he will be there to assist and answer questions about procedure and the record will be there to show that you had access to counsel, and refused it. Accordingly if you choose not to utilize counsel, you will not be able to come back and complain about court rules you did not know, or that somehow you were denied counsel. Accordingly, the judgment will not be subject to an appeal on the basis of access to counsel.

There is an old saying among attorneys. It goes something like this: The lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client. Even lawyers do not approve of representing themselves as they are generally too close to the case to be objective and realistic about the issues. Counsel is more than knowledge of the court rules, it is also a life of the study of human nature and persuasion. Sure there are some that are better than others.

Sometimes the lawyer is from a public defender office, and often they are private attorneys who agree to accept appointments to represent indigent defendants. Either way, they are familiar with the court and the prosecutor if they have been there for any length of time. I can only hope that your judge and jury are not as pre-judgmental as you are about court appointed counsel. Why not visit with him before you pass judgment, isn't that what you would hope of anyone who charged with determining your fate?

Good Luck

Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.

4. This is dead wrong and a common misconception. Public Defenders are very experienced and great defense attorneys. More importantly, they know the court clerks, they know the judges, and they know the law. They are actual trial attorneys, who know how to defend someone, and most would do their best to help you in your case.

Instead of talking trash about your court-appointed attorney, why don't you appreciate the fact that you are getting an experienced, compassionate defense attorney to help you out for free.

Whether you "have no chance or not" depends on whether you actually committed the crime or not, and if the prosecutor can prove it.

5. The lawyer was appointed to you at random. Most appointed lawyers provide excellent representation and should defend you as a retained lawyer would.

Law Office of David D. White, PLLC
    1205 Rio Grande St.
    Austin, TX 78701
    (512) 369-3737

Civil rights topics