Why do police do surveillance on someone?

Dallas, TX |

What are the reasons? What are they looking for?

Evidence of criminal conduct or associations with criminal organizations.

It could be any number of reasons, typically it would be related to the investigation of a crime or a potential crime. They could be looking for a particular person whom they believe may be in contact with the person or place under surveillance. They could be keeping watch on a person they believe might commit a crime or on a location where a crime might be committed. Surveillance in and of itself does not mean that a crime has been or will be committed by any of the persons under surveillance or their associates, or at a particular location.

This answer is made available for educational purposes and is not intended to give you specific legal advice. I do not represent you and by using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client relationship or privilege between you and me. This site should not be used as a substitute for legal advice from a retained, licensed attorney in your state who has reviewed your question and the surrounding facts in detail. I attempt to provide good, helpful information, but do NOT rely on anything I write - you should use my comments as a starting point for consulting an attorney you have retained to represent you regarding your specific legal and factual circumstances.

Good questions. If you are the target of an ongoing criminal investigation, you will probably find out pretty soon.

By providing this legal analysis of the issue presented, no attorney/client relationship is being formed. Additionally, attorney is not agreeing to represent the individual who presented the question concerning the legal issue. A signed retainer agreement is required before an attorney /client relationship is established. The analysis provided is meant solely to provide general guidance about the legal issue presented.

I've noticed someone in a parking lot sitting in there vehicle for 3 months now for several hours. I guess the business owner could have hired this person to watch the parking lot too?

Tab Eugene Lawhorn

Tab Eugene Lawhorn

It's possible, but then again, why would the business owner do such a thing? If you think the person is being suspicious, then I would consider calling law enforcement if you think you or others are in danger.

Well there were break ends in the parking lot, before I saw the person there. I called the cops on the person and now he is in a different parking lot. If I see him there again I will call the police on him again. I noticed that both parking lots had a liqour store in strip center.

Also, the type of vehicle has been listed as the type police use uncover.

They are looking for evidence of a crime. They may be trying to gather sufficient facts to obtain a search warrant or hoping to witness something that allows them to search without one. Police would not be expending resources on an investigation unless they believed they had credible information that an offense was being committed.

If you are the subject of a police investigation, it would be wise to start consulting defense attorneys sooner than later.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

What facts would they be looking for to obtain a search warrant? What would they have to wintess in order to get a search warrant?

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Most search warrants in Dallas are based on either an undercover buy or an informant who states they made a buy at the location. They are likely documenting who is coming and going from the house, how long people are staying there, as well as the vehicles that are seen at the house.