WHY DO OUR CHILDREN HAVE TO BE NOTIFIED THAT THE OUR HOUSE SOLD??

Crossville, TN |

MY HUSBAND DIED AND OUR HOME WAS IN HIS NAME ONLY. HOWEVER, IN HIS WILL HE LEFT ME ME EVERYTHING AND PUT ME IN CHARGE. I HAVE SOLD THE HOME, BUT OUR CHILDREN HAVE TO BE NOTIFIED THAT IT SOLD AND I WAS WANTING TO KNOW WHY. AND ALSO, WAS DOES THE CHECK HAVE TO BE DEPOSITED WITH THE CLERK FIRST AND THEN DISTRIBUTED TO ME?
THANK YOU

1. There are really not enough facts to say for sure. But my guess is notification was required because of the probate administration that was necessary in order to transfer title of the house to you. Not sure about the question relating to the check. Was the sale made before or after probate proceedings were completed?

You do not mention if you have an attorney assisting you with the probate administration or not. If you do not, then you should, under these circumstances.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.