Why do I have a court date? How is child support calculated?

Orange, CA |

I took a DNA test to see if this 7 year old child is mine. I still haven't gotten the results but child support has already set up a court date for me before I even took the test. How can they set up a court date and establish an order when no one knows if the child is mine or not? Also, if this child turns out to be mine how is the child support calculated? Will they take into consideration that I pay child support already for another child, I am on unemployment, have a wife, and 3 other kids, my EDD check is my only income, and have filed a hardship with child support? Please Help!!

it is unclear about your situation and if you already admitted to paternity prior. They can set support payments claiming you are a father (presumed, putative, etc). You can contest it but they can set support while you contest paternity.
Depending on the various facts, the DNA, might be irrelevant.

This is just my opinion and not a comprehensive answer. You assume the risk because this answer may not apply to your situation depending on the facts.

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown

The attorneys from your same state are the best source of guidance and up-to-date information. Good luck!

Recommended articles about Employment