Why did my bail get doubled after missing court on bail?

Ventura, CA |

I missed court and my bail was doubled on 2 of my charges. If I get my bail reinstated and go to court will the bail go back down? is the judge doing this to make me pay more money or get locked up? I don't understand. Thank you.

Your bail got increased because you missed court. The judge probably issued a bench warrant for your arrest in an amount double your initial bail. That's pretty common in a lot of courts.
I have to say, if you find this surprising, you're kind of missing the point of bail. Bail is generally supposed to be set at an amount which assures the court you won't do exactly what you did-- miss court. If you miss court while out on bail, you're practically begging the court to increase your bail.
That's not to say that if you had a valid excuse for missing court and have PROOF of that excuse-- like, say, hospital records proving you were incapacitated at the time-- that you can't get your bail reinstated. You're going to DEFINITELY want an attorney to appear with you and do the talking for you, though.

Any answer provided on Avvo, including this one, is a general answer about a legal question, not specific legal advice. Different lawyers may analyze this or any other matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am licensed in the state of California and the Central District of the Ninth Circuit.

Yeah I went to court and I was on time, I just entered the wrong court room thinking that I was early because nobody was in it and the deputy told me court starts at 9, so I went to the cafeteria and got some food and then my public defender calls me to tell me that my bail got doubled and I need to reinstate my bail and put myself on calendar. Well I reinstated bail for 5 cases but I was on calendar for 7, and I still needed to reinstate 2 more cases which will cost me 600 $ . So as of now I'm working to get the money to reinstate it, so I can put myself on calendar.

I do take court seriously, and I'm doing my best to get on track

Judges set bail based initially on a "bail schedule," but they can raise or lower the amount, based on the circumstances of the case; my suggestion is to retain a criminal defense attorney who can motion to have the bail reduced, good luck.

The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Theodor Kapun and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney.

Thanks, I'll need it.

The judge decides on bail often by the circumstances of the case, missing the court date makes you more of a risk to not attend the next time, I would suggest getting a criminal defense lawyer to motion for bail reduction.

The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Jonathan D. Marx and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney

Okay so I need to get a criminal defense lawyer, reinstate my bail for 2 charges ( 600$ ), and also sign up for prop 36 classes all within the next 10 days! I guess that's my best bet. Thank you so much for your help!

The best way to avoid this problem is to make your appearances. You can have your attorney make a formal request for bail reduction, but don't count on it given your previous failure to appear. Good luck.

thanks!

One of the main functions of bail is to secure your availability at court. The idea is that if you have a monetary interest in appearing to court, you're more likely to go. When you failed to appear at court, the judge's increase in bail basically means that he/she felt you needed a stronger incentive to come back than the one that didn't work.

Best,

Nicholas M. Loncar, Esq.
t: 323.803.4352 | f: 323.617.3838
www.iDefendLosAngeles.com
Nicholas.Loncar@iDefendLosAngeles.com
Sunset Law Building | 1295 W Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA | 90027

Yes, missing court will make your bail double. You should hire a criminal defense attorney to help you get it lowered; but from your fact pattern it is probably unlikely...unless I am missing something

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. The answer given is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for contacting an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction and obtaining legal advice from such an attorney. If further assistance is needed please feel free to contact me and retain my services.