Why did I stop receiving my restitution payments?

Milwaukee, WI |

About 14 years ago someone broke into my car and stole some things. Months down the road the cops knocked on my door saying they had the guy in custody. Went to court where I was awarded somewhere over $2,000 in restitution. I only received a couple payments after that totaling maybe a couple hundred dollars and then they stopped. There was a contact person given to me (maybe a parole officer?) where I could call if I had questions. Once I realized the payments were no longer coming, the contact I had no longer returned my calls. I left it thinking the system wouldn't fail me, that they would start up again or someone would call me. I ended up forgetting about it. Haven't seen a payment in 14 years. Is this typical? Is it too late to do something about the remaining money owed to me?

I put this under "Payment Plan", but not sure if my question falls under the same category that was opted to me. I assumed this to be a question about restitution payment plan.

I wish I had a crystal ball that would let me answer your question, but unless you are able to contact the person monitoring this situation, there is no way to know. The person may have been returned to custody, he may have gone to Vegas to hide out before his final hurrah (it happens all the time), he may be unemployed and excused from paying, and there could be a thousand other excuses. Hope this perspective helps!

Thanks. Do you know if there is someone I can contact here to get the case information just by providing my name, and then in turn get any key contact info required from the records? I just don't have names of anyone anymore.

Dorothy G Bunce

Dorothy G Bunce

My suggestion would be to contact either the public prosecutor's office or if there is a victims rights organization in your state, this group. Nevada has a state agency called "Victims of Crime" that assists people such as yourself & your state may have a similar program. Start by calling the state government - very often the telephone operators understand how the government works better than anyone else and can direct you to the correct party.

I emailed the WI state DOJ. Thanks for your help!

Attorney Bunce is right, almost anything could have happened. You should have kept calling your "contact" until you made contact. After this much time has passed, the liklihood you will ever get another payment is very low. Stranger things have happened though. Good luck to you.