Why did I get arrested for domestic violence as the aggressor after calling 911?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

My husband and I have been together on and off for 10 years. We have a little girl together, 8 years old. We are not legally married but only in our culture. Our relationship has always been rocky from the start. We tried living together so many times but never works out. He is an alcoholic and is very abusive. And has cheated on me so many times. I never had the courage to report him to authority. I tried it once online but it came back as incomplete, because i have to go in to make the report. Me and my husband are currently not living together but his house was like our second home. However, one day i went over and he was acting suspicious which i caught him and his gf in the house. He hit me so hard that i called the cops. But they came and arrested me instead??? Why???

1. Cathleen Elisabeth Norton

Pro

5

Answered . It is hard to say why you were arrested based on the facts you provide. However, it may have something to do with the fact that you went over to his house so the police assumed you instigated the fight. I assume that he and his girlfriend told the police that you did and they believed him over your story.

The most important thing for you do to now is protect yourself against a likely Motion for custody and visitation. If he sought a domestic violence restraining order and obtained a TRO, then you need to hire an experienced family law attorney to represent you. I am including links below that will help you understand the implications of having a domestic violence restraining order against you as it relates to custody. Good luck.

2. Richard Thomas Dudek

2

1

Answered . The reason for your arrest would be based solely on what your husband had told the cops.

3. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

2

Answered . No one on this forum can tell you why the cops arrested you.
    You need an attorney.

4. Michael L Detzky

Pro

2

Answered . You should request a copy of the arrest report. There should be a detailed narrative portion in which the arresting officer sets forth the basis for the arrest.