Why can't someone parole out on a Armed robbery and kidnapping charge?

Atlanta, GA |

My boyfriend didn't have a lawyer. This is his first offense and he couldn't get the charges dropped. And I'm wondering is there any kind of program he can get into so he doesn't have to do the whole 10yrs.

As there are MULTIPLE possible answers, more details are needed to answer your question.

Potter Sieg, LLC Phone: 404-270-9289 Fax: 404-935-9308 psieg@pottersieg.com Paul J. Sieg is a criminal defense and entertainment law attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information provided is based on Georgia law and federal law, where applicable, and is not necessarily directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. Rather, this response is in the form of legal education, and is intended to provide general information. Any specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your respective jurisdiction.

What more information do you need?

Paul Jonathan Sieg

Paul Jonathan Sieg

Mr. Goldberg is correct. Further, I apologize - I answered your question hastily and provided a response based on getting a bond for those charges, not making parole. In 1995, Georgia passed the "seven deadly sins" law. It mandates, for a first offense, a non-parolable sentence of at least ten years for kidnapping, armed robbery, rape, aggravated sodomy, aggravated sexual battery, and aggravated child molestation.

Thank you! I have another question if you don't mind me asking? So there is nothing else he can do to get the charges reduced?

Paul Jonathan Sieg

Paul Jonathan Sieg

There is no way to "get the charges reduced" after conviction. Having a charge reduced refers to a guilty plea/conviction for a “lesser included crime.” For example, reckless driving is a lesser included crime of driving under the influence. If a prosecutor realizes that he will be unable to secure a conviction for DUI, he may be willing to reduce the charge of DUI to reckless driving in exchange for a guilty plea from the defendant. I think what intended to ask was if there is a way to have the SENTENCE reduced. The answer to that is also no. Armed robbery and kidnapping are both charges that carry a mandatory minimum sentence of ten (10) years.

Because those are non-parolable offenses.

Paul Jonathan Sieg

Paul Jonathan Sieg

Lee William Fitzpatrick

Lee William Fitzpatrick

Mr. Goldberg and Mr. Seig are quite correct. Once a conviction or a guilty plea is entered, by law he cannot be paroled. There are no exceptions. He will have to serve the full sentence.

Your boyfriend needs a private criminal lawyer or public defender ASAP.

Your boyfriend almost certainly had a lawyer unless he insisted on representing himself, which is crazy in with those charges. While there are a lot of factors that go into bail decisions, danger to the community and making sure he comes to court are two reason usually analyzed when deciding bail. I suspect a judge factored both of these in when denying bail or giving him a high bail amount.

The law provides that if a person is convicted of certain offenses, they can not be probated or paroled. The offenses your friend is charged with or has been convicted of are included in those offenses.

Darrell B. Reynolds, Sr.
Attorney and Counselor at Law
drey1954@cs.com
404-636-6616

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
- William Shakespeare

NOTICE – 1) This email does not create an attorney/client relationship. In order to create an attorney/client relationship with this office it is necessary to enter into a written contract agreed to by both parties. 2) This email is intended only for the person(s) listed in the To: and CC: lines. It is not intended for anyone else and any reliance upon this email by other parties is at their own peril. 3) This e-mail, and all attachments transmitted with it, may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information that is intended solely for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, then you are not authorized to read, distribute, copy, or otherwise use any or all portions of this e-mail or any attachment. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephone at 1-404-636-6616, and delete all copies of this e-mail. Thank you.

I can imagine a judge taking a guilty plea to Armed Robbery from someone without an attorney.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at www.SteakleyLawFirm.com or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.