Why can't I get my CM DV conviction sealed or expunged in Illinois?

Fairbury, IL |

I don't understand. If I complete everything the court desires why can't they grant just a small sigh of relief?

The law does not allow it.

Well my question asks why? They just want to be difficult and ruin the lives of the innocent? So much for justice...

Melissa I. Smejkal

Melissa I. Smejkal

If you are innocent then you should seek a pardon.

That's not gonna happen. I go to court and they make me wait three hours to tell me I still owe their greedy hands money. If a judge won't grant me a lower bail, why will anyone give me a pardon? Cops and judges love to ruin lives with or without evidence and that is wrong. All "public pretenders" do is work for the ones convicting the accused, and that is the lawyer they give me? Justice.... no such thing.

You cannot get it expunged because it is not expungeable under the law. You asked a similar question today but the answer remains the same. What you are asking is not a "small sigh of relief" and the court system is not established for such relief. Very sorry.

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.” ― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

There is a statute in Illinois law that states what can and cannot be expunged or sealed. That law was passed by the state legislature. To change this, you need to contact your local legistlator.

The desire for the "small sigh" you want has started the process for a lot of law changes. You never know unless you try.