Why AVVO.com LAWYERS have not answered some questions, and why most questions are taking so long to answer by just one lawyer?

Asked over 2 years ago - Columbus, OH

I have piles of questions waiting there to answer, some I have had to re-asked again, yet still no reply. What's up with this website?

What's the point of having this website called "Expert Advice When You Need It", when someone keeps posting questions and lawyers refuse or scare to share their knowledge or Expertise?

1. Dennis Armand DiMartino

19

1

Answered . This is easy to answer. The reason lots of your questions are waiting is that lawyers really watch their time. Their input here only helps the people out here who ask questions: the lawyers don't get any higher Avvo ratings, nobody is paying them for their knowledge, and they don't get a new client. The most that the lawyer gets, or at least this lawyer gets, is the feeling of helping someone to a small degree who has a legal problem. That;s altruistic at best and many lawyers are just not set up for that type of volunteer work in their own busy lives with the time demands of the practice of law, not to mention family, friends, church,, social groups, etc.

The best I can tell you is that sometimes I to through the Avvo files and specifically look at unanswered questions, like I am right now, and fire off a semi-intelligent response to as many as I can.

I am sorry that I could not provide a "magic bullet" for you in this area. Good luck to you in your case.

Atty. Dennis A. DiMartino
    1032 Boardman-Canfield Road,
    Suite 103
    Youngstown, Ohio 44512-4238
    330.629.9030 Ext. 111 Phone
    (330) 629-9036 FAX
    Dennis.DiMartino@gmail.com

2. C L Huddleston III

Pro

16

Answered . I answer questions actively in the Estate Planning section and have seen no unanswered questions, except occasionally one that has no relationship to estate planning and therefore cannot be answered by estate planning lawyers.

I note your critical, demanding comment is also posted in 8 other sections of AVVO. My colleagues who have responded have been circumspect in their answers, but I choose to be a bit more direct, and to give some expert advice it appears you need.

You apparently have legal problems in number of areas. The demanding and unappreciative tone of your questions perhaps indicates the source of your many legal problems. I have observed in working with clients over the years that those who focus on others and live with an "attitude of gratitude" have fewer legal issues than those who focus on themselves and how unfair life is to them.

The lawyers on this website donate their time for the benefit of others. Sometimes questions are asked that are so poorly written we cannot figure them out. Sometimes there is an area of law that has no representatives on this board. Sometimes the one person who could answer your question is busy, on vacation or has a crisis in his or her own life that prevents them from participating.

We do not always give the answers our questioners wish to hear, but if we didn't want to help, we wouldn't be here. We do our best ... generally a good life goal for all.

3. Andrew Daniel Myers

13

Answered . The answers provided here are by volunteers. We do our best, but most of the attorneys here are busy practitioners who are required to devote their time and resources to their caseload and come into the site in any spare time. My suggestion is to seek a free consultation with an area attorney. Or, in my jurisdictions the state and county bar associations have referral services that assist people to find an attorney, even a low-fee or no-fee if qualified.

4. Sherrille Diane Akin

9

Answered . As stated by my colleagues, we attorneys don't get paid to answer the questions, so we have to find time to look through the questions in our "spare" time- which is very precious to most of us. Further, we aren't able to answer just any questions, only those in areas that we are experienced in. Finally, I've looked at a few unanswered questions and I don't know if they are yours, but many of them I just can't figure out what the question is. To get an answer, you are best including some basic (not the entire story) facts and asking a question.

5. Brian Coleman Kelly

7

Answered . Refer to mOnitor.