Why are they charging court cost for every citation?

Hialeah, FL |

Why are they charging court cost for every citation? It used to be that if you had a clean record and the citation was not for a fixed sign like a NO U TURN they would waive court cost. It gets very expensive with attorney's fee and court cost just to avoid points.

They're using every legal means available to them to get money out of you. In the past, when the could get costs they might waive it. Now, if you go to court, you should expect to pay court costs unless you're found not guilty or the ticket is dismissed.

You are right. It gets very expensive. Courts are like any other business in this economy. They do not have enough money. They help their budgets by charging costs to the people who use the court's services, even though you do not have a choice in the matter about using their services and would just as soon not be there.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

With the recent downturn in the economy, most states are cutting back on budgets, including budgets for the court system. Now prosecutors and judges are seeking to squeeze every last penny out of fines and costs they can. Not all judges or prosecutors do this, but my experience is this is due to the economic conditions. If you notice it appears law enforcement is writing more citations as well.

My advice is that if you go to court you ask that any and all fees/costs be consolidated. Do not be afraid to point out the excessive costs to the court. The judges/magistrates are human and often will be sympathetic if you have a generally clean record.

Traffic tickets topics