Why are there differences in the number of jurors? Why do some trials have 9 jurors while others have only 6, w/ 4 alternates

Palm Coast, FL |

It seems they should all be the same number.

In Florida, most juries have six jurors with one alternate (two if its a multi-day trial). For capital cases in Florida, however, juries have twelve members and two alternates.

Please note that the answers provided herein are the attorney's professional opinions based upon the attorney's experience based upon the information provided to the attorney as part of the attorney's participation in the setting of this forum. No responses posted by the attorney in question are intended to be legal advice or professional advice of any kind. No attorney-client relationship is being established or solicited. The attorney will not make any communication with the person asking the question unless that person independently contacts the attorney outside of this forum.

All juries in Florida, except death penalty cases, have 6 jurors. All others are spare jurors just in case something happens to the main jurors. Death penalty cases have 12. Some other states and the federal government have 12 jurors for all trials.

Ms. Stockton is correct. The amount of jurors depends on the severity of the crime charged. When an accused is facing a capital offense, more people are on the jury. There are some who believe that the idea that 12 people are required for capital offenses originated from the idea of 12 apostles in the bible. There is a good book on the Florida jury system on amazon.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. 407-588-6714 bill@thelawman.net

I was totally unaware of any trials having 9 jurors, unless perhaps there are 3 alternates, and I suppose that could be done in a lengthy trial.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239