Why are there differences in the number of jurors? Why do some trials have 9 jurors while others have only 6, w/ 4 alternates

Asked about 1 year ago - Palm Coast, FL

It seems they should all be the same number.

1. Don Waggoner

Pro

13

Answered . All juries in Florida, except death penalty cases, have 6 jurors. All others are spare jurors just in case something happens to the main jurors. Death penalty cases have 12. Some other states and the federal government have 12 jurors for all trials.

2. Melissa Moore Stockham

11

Answered . In Florida, most juries have six jurors with one alternate (two if its a multi-day trial). For capital cases in Florida, however, juries have twelve members and two alternates.

3. William David Umansky

Pro

9

Answered . Ms. Stockton is correct. The amount of jurors depends on the severity of the crime charged. When an accused is facing a capital offense, more people are on the jury. There are some who believe that the idea that 12 people are required for capital offenses originated from the idea of 12 apostles in the bible. There is a good book on the Florida jury system on amazon.

4. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

4

Answered . I was totally unaware of any trials having 9 jurors, unless perhaps there are 3 alternates, and I suppose that could be done in a lengthy trial.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239