Skip to main content

Why are cops so intent on fighting over the pension?

Brentwood, NY |

Married 11 years one child 10 type 1 diabetes . I am a stay at home mom. House is worth 359,000 we owe 287,000 home loan 26,000 total equity 25,950 dollars. He want me to give up my rights to the pension for the house. Should I do it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


And there's not just the pension. There's deferred comp, annuity and, if he's a cop for more than 20 years at the divorce, variable supplement. You are entitled to a share of all of that and of the equity in the house.


Based on the facts submitted, you are entitled to a share of the equity and a share of the pension. You should consider consulting with a matrimonial attorney to discuss your options before making any final decisions. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


You should not give up any rights without consulting with a local matrimonial lawyer. The pension may be far more valuable than the house.

It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact our office at 516-669-3295. We are located in West Babylon, NY and proudly offer very low rates and free consultations. For more information, please see our website: <a href="">Long Island Divorce Lawyer Louis Sternberg.</a>


There is too little information to give you any advice. What type of pension? How long? What is it worth? You should not give up anything without sitting with an attorney to go over your entire circumstances.
Howard E. Knispel, Esq.
Commack, NY

The above is a general answer and is not considered legal advice. You should contact an attorney before proceeding to take any legal action, signing any papers or upon service of a summons. Howard E. Knispel 631-864-7589


Consult with an attorney to evaluate the pension and then compare it with the equity of the house. Do not act in haste. Pensions are quite valuable.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer