Why are cops so intent on fighting over the pension?

Asked about 1 year ago - Brentwood, NY

Married 11 years one child 10 type 1 diabetes . I am a stay at home mom. House is worth 359,000 we owe 287,000 home loan 26,000 total equity 25,950 dollars. He want me to give up my rights to the pension for the house. Should I do it?

1. Howard A. Schwartz

7

1

Answered . Based on the facts submitted, you are entitled to a share of the equity and a share of the pension. You should consider consulting with a matrimonial attorney to discuss your options before making any final decisions. Good luck.

2. Louis Lawrence Sternberg

Pro

6

1

Answered . You should not give up any rights without consulting with a local matrimonial lawyer. The pension may be far more valuable than the house.

3. Howard E. Knispel

Pro

4

1

Answered . There is too little information to give you any advice. What type of pension? How long? What is it worth? You should not give up anything without sitting with an attorney to go over your entire circumstances.
    Howard E. Knispel, Esq.
    Commack, NY
    631-864-7589

4. Deborah G. Fiss

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . And there's not just the pension. There's deferred comp, annuity and, if he's a cop for more than 20 years at the divorce, variable supplement. You are entitled to a share of all of that and of the equity in the house.

5. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

1

1

Answered . Consult with an attorney to evaluate the pension and then compare it with the equity of the house. Do not act in haste. Pensions are quite valuable.

One or more answers have been taken down.