Why am i more than 50% at fault when someone hits my car from behind? Do I have a reasonable chance to correct by appeal?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Cambridge, MA

I was involved in a collision, evening rush hour, dark, rainy, local street, 2-way traffic each way. I was changing lanes, had my blinker on, saw a 2-3 car length opening to the left and merged. I was almost completely in the lane turning into the flow of traffic when i was hit from the rear. Damage was to the left rear panel that has the wheel opening. Police arrived, heard stories, and helped exchange information. I was asked to file an accident report which I did. Received a Surcharge Notice from my insurance company today saying I am >50% at fault. Cited with an Out of Lane Collision (05). Do I have a reasonable chance to appeal this? What constitutes "proper lane" and "rear section" under 211.74.03. I would think this was a Rear End Collision (03). Thanks for any response.

Pro

12

Answered . You can retain a local traffic court lawyer to fight a citation. With respect to liability, if you were injured, retain a personal injury lawyer. An insurance company doesn't have the right to assign fault.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. Henry Lebensbaum

10

Answered . Appeal it. And ask for a detailed explanation.

3. Joshua Sachs

11

Answered . It does not sound as though you have been stuck with an criminal or civil liability on this case, at least not at this point. What you are asking about is a determination by your own insurance company. There is probably an internal appeal mechanism within the company, and possibly a review procedure available through your state insurance commission. What the standard of review is I have no idea. I assume the decision was based on you cutting into a small space leaving an unreasonably small interval for the car behind you. It sounds to me as though reasonable people could disagree on the allocation of fault in this situation.

4. Alan James Brinkmeier

10

Answered . Are you asking about a legal appeal? An insurer is going to say what it can to avoid paying out on a policy.

More details are needed.

5. Michael Shemtoub

8

Answered . I agree with Attorney Lassen. You do need to file an appeal. I would suggest you contact a local attorney for help.
    Good Luck
    Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com

www. KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

6. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

7

Answered . You should contact a local attorney to assist you in your case.

7. Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel

5

Answered . Based only on where you were struck by the other car, it sounds as though a determination that you are at fault is not unreasonable. If you are going to enter a lane of travel, you must yield to other drivers in that lane who have the right of way. It sounds as though you were struck on the side panel and not the rear of your car. I will leave it to the others to weigh your chances on appeal.