Why am I at fault in this car accident?

Asked about 2 years ago - Kirkland, WA

I turned around a corner, and a woman was stopped in the middle of the lane, right around the corner, dropping her kid off. No one was hurt as I was going slow, but the police officer said I was at fault. I don't see how, when she was just stopped in the lane.

.

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

5

Answered . Clearly, stopping in the middle of a roadway to drop someone off may be negligent. So may be hitting a vehicle in the rear. Not seeing a car that was there to be seen may be negligent too. The officers opinion, although important, unless qualified as an expert, is not determinative.

2. Andrew Daniel Myers

4

Answered . Fault determnations are made by comparing as many facts as possible with standards for determination which include but are not limited to rules of the road, statutes and regulations. No one who was not there to observe the collision, including the police officer, can arrive at a conclusion without many facts such as witness statements, a view of the area, sketches, photos or observation of the damage to the vehicles.

The biggest factor against you is that all motor vehicle operators have a duty to (1) operate their vehicles in control at all times and (2) operate at a safe speed under all conditions. These tend to mitigate against the person who operates a moving car into any stopped object, as it is foreseeable at any moment that any one of a number of things can obstruct traffic such as vehicles stopping, animals, school busses, children, delivery trucks, and more.

If anyone was injured, retain an attorney before you make any statements. If no one was injured, turn this over to your insurance company, let them sort it out and be glad no one was hurt.

3. Richard James Milham

1

1

Answered . I agree, turn it over to your insurance company. However, just because the police officer says you are at fault, does not make it so. You will have a right to contest any ticket. I would be more concerned with the decision of your/her insurance companies with regard to fault. Get a lawyer and thoroughly discuss the facts.