Skip to main content

Wht if u lied about a domestic violence case?

Fraser, CO |

A friend of mine lied about her boyfriend pushing her and her boyfriend go arrested for the loswest misderminor charge. if she.wanted to tell someone she lied who wuld she tell? wht wuld happen to the case? and culd she go to jail? and wht if she has a child? culd tht child get taken away?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Attorney advice if you lied to the police or lied about domestic violence.

Well, this is a problem. Making a false police report is a crime. Testifying in court falsely is a crime. If your friend wants to get the boyfriend out of trouble, then she can approach the DA's office (call the DA assigned to the case) and tell him that she may have been really upset and overstated what happened somewhat. She must be very careful, because as soon as she starts talking the DA is going to be thinking about filing false police complaint charges against her. YOUR FRIEND SHOULD NOT DO THIS without first meeting with an attorney and getting specific advice about all the facts, including the precise charges against the boyfriend. The attorney may well advise that your friend should let the attorney contact the DA's office for her.

Of course, there is no way to get the arrest off the boyfriend's record, even if the charges are dropped.

As for whether the child would be taken away depends on many things. Merely being charged with most crimes is not enough to cause the state to take a child away. The state cares about the kind of home environment, care giving, etc. that the child receives. If there is a problem there, it is possible to get parenting help from the county, or welfare, food stamps, etc.

Generally, if your friend and her boyfriend (baby's father?) have such a poor relationship that she's calling the police and falsely accusing him of abuse, then perhaps they should either get counseling or agree that they are not good together and one of them moves out. If its the baby's father, then your friend should get a court ordered parenting time and support order.

If drinking or drugs are leading to the problems, then AA is the place to go, now, not later.

Finally, if the boyfriend is really an abuser, it was just this time that he was innocent, then everyone, including the boyfriend need to realize that abuser's do not quit by themselves. They usually keep getting worse until someone is in the hospital and the abuser is in jail for a longer time.

Some attorneys sell unbundled legal services where you pay for just what you need and can afford. For example, some attorneys sell the paperwork for the court filings, then you can go to court on your own, but knowing that your paperwork is correct. Neighborhood Law Office is a law firm offering unbundled legal services.

Good Luck, jim

Jim@NeighborhoodLawOffice. com

NOTICE— The Legal Information contained in this answer is provided solely for informational purposes to assist the layperson in understanding general legal concepts and terms, it is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or my law firm. This response is provided for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issues. Because this website format is limited, all facts necessary for complete advice are not available and the information provided cannot be complete. Questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer