Whom would I contact regarding unclaimed IRA beneficiary funds?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lady Lake, FL

Alleged beneficiary recently received notice of eligibility for unclaimed IRA funds from unknown source requiring a fee. IRA owner was deceased in 2003 at which time IRA was with a bank advisory group. Alleged beneficiary lives in NY. State of origin of IRA is unknown.

1. Stephanie Sauer Woods

Pro

3

Answered . Do a google search for the unclaimed property website of the state where the deceased individual lived. If there is an unclaimed IRA, you should be able to find out information about it on the unclaimed property website. You may need to hire a probate attorney to assist you with the process.

2. Brad Harris Milhauser

2

Answered . I can't answer for NY but in Florida we have an unclaimed funds website that is searchable by name. You should try googling unclaimed funds for NY state.

3. James P. Frederick

2

Answered . I agree with Attorney Milhauser. Most states have unclaimed property divisions. If you have copies of past tax returns, you may be able to at least find the company involved.

James Frederick

4. Robert V Cornish Jr.

1

Answered . The website you need to check is www.naupa.org. It has links to the unclaimed property websites for each state. Each state has different rules on how much can be charged by "finders" to assist in the recovery of unclaimed property. If you think the process will be difficult (look at the forms you need to fill out once you locate the property on the website), consult with an attorney to assist you.