Whom would I contact regarding unclaimed IRA beneficiary funds?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lady Lake, FL

Alleged beneficiary recently received notice of eligibility for unclaimed IRA funds from unknown source requiring a fee. IRA owner was deceased in 2003 at which time IRA was with a bank advisory group. Alleged beneficiary lives in NY. State of origin of IRA is unknown.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Stephanie Sauer Woods


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Do a google search for the unclaimed property website of the state where the deceased individual lived. If there is an unclaimed IRA, you should be able to find out information about it on the unclaimed property website. You may need to hire a probate attorney to assist you with the process.

  2. Brad Harris Milhauser

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I can't answer for NY but in Florida we have an unclaimed funds website that is searchable by name. You should try googling unclaimed funds for NY state.

  3. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Milhauser. Most states have unclaimed property divisions. If you have copies of past tax returns, you may be able to at least find the company involved.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more
  4. Robert V Cornish Jr.

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The website you need to check is www.naupa.org. It has links to the unclaimed property websites for each state. Each state has different rules on how much can be charged by "finders" to assist in the recovery of unclaimed property. If you think the process will be difficult (look at the forms you need to fill out once you locate the property on the website), consult with an attorney to assist you.

    The foregoing is not legal advice nor is it in any manner whatsoever meant to create or impute an attorney/client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,454 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,454 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering