Whom would I contact regarding unclaimed IRA beneficiary funds?

Lady Lake, FL |

Alleged beneficiary recently received notice of eligibility for unclaimed IRA funds from unknown source requiring a fee. IRA owner was deceased in 2003 at which time IRA was with a bank advisory group. Alleged beneficiary lives in NY. State of origin of IRA is unknown.

I can't answer for NY but in Florida we have an unclaimed funds website that is searchable by name. You should try googling unclaimed funds for NY state.

I agree with Attorney Milhauser. Most states have unclaimed property divisions. If you have copies of past tax returns, you may be able to at least find the company involved.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Dennis Michael Phillips

Dennis Michael Phillips

But if it's from an alleged Nigerian king, let it go man... let it go...

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

If you go back far enough, I am sure we are ALL descended from royalty! ;-)

Do a google search for the unclaimed property website of the state where the deceased individual lived. If there is an unclaimed IRA, you should be able to find out information about it on the unclaimed property website. You may need to hire a probate attorney to assist you with the process.

The website you need to check is www.naupa.org. It has links to the unclaimed property websites for each state. Each state has different rules on how much can be charged by "finders" to assist in the recovery of unclaimed property. If you think the process will be difficult (look at the forms you need to fill out once you locate the property on the website), consult with an attorney to assist you.

The foregoing is not legal advice nor is it in any manner whatsoever meant to create or impute an attorney/client relationship.

Tax law topics