Who would handle a downward modification for child support in Colorado for ex with address unknown?

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

How would my brother file for a downward modification in Colorado ? He had been told not to trust the child support enforcement registry to help him since they are not there to help fathers and what does he do since he does not know WHERE his son even lives , she keeps moving and wont tell him .

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

2

1

Answered . First, he needs counsel. Second, that counsel can file the appropriate paperwork in the appropriate jurisdiction to modify the numbers.

2. Kelly Ann Breuer

1

1

Answered . Mr. Deasy is correct. Have your brother contact him or one of the other attorneys on this board immediately.

3. Kimberly A.S. Utesch

1

1

Answered . As my colleagues have stated your brother would need to seek counsel in Colorado so long as the court order for child support was issued in Colorado. But unless I'm missing something, how is he paying support if he doesn't have an address to send payment? Child support enforcement is there to make sure that child support is paid, not simply to help mothers so they would be a viable option for your brother. The family support registry is something else entirely and only receives and disburses payments and maintains a record of payments on each case.

4. Karl J Geil

Answered . The Family Support Registry does not help anyone with child support matters. All it does is receive a payment from one party and disburse it to the other. However, your brother may be able to get the address to which they send the payments from the FSR. He should call and ask.