Who would be liable for the medical bills for the driver?

Beckley, WV |

Loaned car to someone - they hit a horse in the middle of the road - horse was killed - car totalled and driver had 40 stitches in facial area. My insurance says I only have 1,000 in medical coverage and want me to pay the bills. Who is responsible for the bills - me, the driver or the person who owned the horse?

1. This one depends on a lot of facts. Call a personal injury lawyer.

Seth Carroll is licensed to practice in Virginia only. The preceding is for information only and should not be construed as legal advice. Always call a lawyer directly for advice.

2. I would say that you are not liable for the medical bills. It is possible that the person who owned the horse could be liable, but, you need to know more facts - i.e. how did the horse get in the middle of the road.

3. Doesn't sound like you would be liable for the medical bills based on those facts but the owner of the horse may be if the horse was loose due to negligence. Many factors involved in your situation.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

4. Why does your insurance company think you should pay the bills over the amount of $1000? That does not make a lot of sense to me.

Your permissive driver should consult with a personal injury attorney and determine what responsibility, if any, the owner of the horse has for allowing it to run loose. Many states have specific statutes concerning livestock and liability for damages caused by an unconfined animal.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

5. The owner of the horse may be liable, for example, my firm recovered from the insurance of the owner of a cow that went into the road.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Animal law topics