Who signs the I-485 and I-130 on behalf of a minor child?

Asked about 1 year ago - Louisville, KY

For example, on the I-485 Part 5 [Applicant's Statement], if the mother is filling out the form and the child cannot read or understand English, does the parent check where it says "I can read and understand English, and I have read and understand each and every question and instruction on this form, as well as my answer to each question"? Also, on the I-485 Part 6 [Signature of Person Preparing Form, If Other Than Above], does the parent fill that section out?

Additional information

I mean, does the parent or the child sign for I-485 Part 6?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Depends on the age of the child when it comes to I-485. As to the I-130, there is no place nor the need for the child or anyone else in his or her place to sign.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Ji Min Kim


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. For the 485, if a child can write his own name, I usually ask the child to sign. There are sections for the interpreter to sign in 485 if an applicant does not understand English.

  3. Lynne Rogers Feldman

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . A parents can sign on behalf of a child under 12.

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277
    website: www.immigrateme.com

    Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,485 answers this week

3,007 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,485 answers this week

3,007 attorneys answering