Who signs the I-485 and I-130 on behalf of a minor child?

Asked about 1 year ago - Louisville, KY

For example, on the I-485 Part 5 [Applicant's Statement], if the mother is filling out the form and the child cannot read or understand English, does the parent check where it says "I can read and understand English, and I have read and understand each and every question and instruction on this form, as well as my answer to each question"? Also, on the I-485 Part 6 [Signature of Person Preparing Form, If Other Than Above], does the parent fill that section out?

I mean, does the parent or the child sign for I-485 Part 6?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

1

Answered . Depends on the age of the child when it comes to I-485. As to the I-130, there is no place nor the need for the child or anyone else in his or her place to sign.

2. Ji Min Kim

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with my colleague. For the 485, if a child can write his own name, I usually ask the child to sign. There are sections for the interpreter to sign in 485 if an applicant does not understand English.

3. Lynne Rogers Feldman

Answered . A parents can sign on behalf of a child under 12.

--
    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law