Skip to main content

Who should i sue?

New York, NY |

I was injured in a car accident. Two cars crashed and hit me. In a hospital, I had to operate my knees( doctor said to me that I have to, or it must be amputated). Surgery did not went well and I lost ability to walk. After that I had terrible pain , and other doctor saw that some metal thing is left in my knee.

Thank You all, I will.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 11


You should retain an experienced personal injury attorney in your own state to represent you. From the facts presented you may be able to bring a claim against both, but an attorney would need to sort this out. You should not give a statement to the insurance companies for either of the two other cars. An experienced attorney can ensure that you bring claims for compensation for all of your damages. I am very sorry that you were so seriously injured in this terrible collision and wish you good luck.

Merry Fountain is licensed to practice law in Indiana. She can be contacted at 1-888-242-HURT. This is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney/client relationship. It is legal education intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. If the question does not include important timeframes and facts the answer could change. Merry Fountain strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state.


You should sue the owner and operator of both vehicles, and if either driver was in the course of their employment at the time of the accident, their employers too. It sounds like you sustained terrible injuries. Best of luck, and for a speedy recovery.

New York Plaintiff's Personal Injury Attorney Serving NYC, Long Island, Westchester and the surrounding areas. The information provided herein is not, and is not intended to be, legal advice. The content herein is for information and educational purposes only, and is based on the limited information provided. Any information provided is not intended to, and does not, create any attorney/client relationship where none exists. For legal advice, please consult with an attorney. While this posting is made for informational purposes only for the AVVO community, to the extent one seeks to contact me based on the content herein, or that this may be viewed by some to be attorney advertising, please be advised of the following: *Attorney Advertising


Contact a local personal injury attorney as soon as possible.


Both drivers and owners of both vehicles must be sued. Without knowing more, it is possible there may be other potential defendants. There are a number of critical issues which must be explored, including looking into any of your insurance which may be used to cover your existing and ongoing medical expenses. You clearly have serious injuries and, as such, you would benefit from a consultation with an attorney so you can get clear about your options.

I do hope you feel better.
Alfred Laub

The underlying facts for each situation are unique. Any responses given are for informational purposes only and are not designed or intended as professional legal advice, since any suggestions may not apply to your specific circumstance. This information exchange does not create an attorney-client relationship of any kind. Should you determine that you need immediate legal assistance or action , you should contact your local Bar Association for a referral to an attorney in your area.


You absolutely must contact a reputable injury lawyer in your area. They can help you get further care and will maximize your recovery. As others have said, the best practice is to sue both drivers and any owners/employers of the drivers/vehicles who hit you.


Although the question has been adequately addressed, this is a question you should be asking your attorney. If you don't have one, you are making a mistake. Don't try to do this on your own.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change appropriately.


You really need to listen to the excellent advise you've received. Consult with qualified person injury counsel asap. Interview several. Look to hire the one you are most comfortable with and confident in. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


I would sue everyone to get maximum compensation


Owners/operators, their employers if on the job, the municipality involved if there may be defects in design/construction/maintenance of the vicinity contributing to the accident. For a more definite list, see your local personal injury attorney.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


Please hire an experienced attorney ASAP. There are time limits to secure that your medical bills are properly covered. The attorney will know who to sue based on the facts of the accident. It probably will include both drivers and their vehicle owners as well as the town or municipality if there is some defect in the roadway or traffic signal.


Your claim is substantial and I would waste no time and consult with an attorney who specialized in personal injury law. Your claim will be against the owners and drivers of both vehicle.there may be additional parties to sue such as the government if a component of the facts involving the accident involved defective or negligent road or traffic control issues( ie. poor road design, ineffective or improperly functioning traffic control devices,etc). I wish you all the best for a successful recovery.

Mitchell Jan Birzon

Mitchell Jan Birzon


If the metal left in your knee is a result of the surgery, you may have a medical malpractice claim as well. This will be explained to you when you consult with counsel.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer