Who should finance the family if the head of the family underwent a serious accident and is unable to work (paralyzed)?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

The family comprises of the man (the head), his wife, his parents, and two children who go to school.
The man, a working and well paid guy underwent a road accident and was paralyzed and he also lost the ability to talk, work or take care of himself. He is undergoing treatment. His wife is unemployed and already has too much to take care of, her husband and their two kids. Isn't it obvious that the paralyzed man's father should support the family financially? If the man's father denies to support and demands the wife's father to do it, is that a crime?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . The father's father has no legal duty.

2. Ernest DuBose

1

Answered . There is no obligation of the grandfather to support his son's family. The family should look outside to social services.

3. Philip Leslie Franckel

1

Answered . Neither of the fathers has a legal duty to provide support. Since the accident happened on a road, I assume this was an accident involving a vehicle. Since the injury is so serious, make sure that you contact a lawyer immediately! DO NOT WAIT. Make sure that your lawyer finds out if there was a defective condition with the road, sign, traffic light or something else. In NY, you have 90 days from the accident date to file a Notice of Claim against a government entity.

4. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

Answered . The old man has no duty under law to support his adult children. The old man is committing no crime. So it's time to think outside the box to keep the income stream.