Who sets the terms of the probation contract? Also, what are the rules about combining probation?

Olathe, KS |

My bf was told in court and by his lawyer that this probation would be combined with a previous one that expires in August. For a total of 2 years from the end of this month. The new PO assigned for the current issue is saying they won't be combined so his 2 years for this won't start until August. Also, new PO is saying he can't have guns at his property. His charge was a misdemeanor and wasn't on his other contract. Can they do that? It has nothing to do with either charge he's had.

First and foremost your boyfriend should be talking to his lawyer, that is why he hired him. The length of probation is generally a pretty simple question and I suspect that the probation will end two years from when it started. In other words it will not wait to begin. Terms about things like guns can be more problematic. The judge often given discretion to the probation office, however this is something he needs to discuss with his lawyer.

Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, patricklewislaw@gmail.com. This answer is intended to provide general information about the justice system. It does not provide legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. It does not provide the basis for making decisions about a course of action. Legal advice requires more communication and information than is possible in this format. Many important considerations and factors need to be investigated and discussed before an attorney could give legal advice about this issue. Before making any decisions about a course of action readers are strongly encouraged to contact a lawyer and secure an attorney-client relationship. Readers must also understand that this format does not provide for confidential communication.

2. I totally agree that your bf needs to be talking to his lawyer. That being said, certain terms of probation are often negotiated by a defense attorney working with a prosecutor, the judge, and sometimes probation. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen