Who's at fault and, what do I do now

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I was backing into my driveway from a residential street and, got hit by a car, the driver had no Drivers License and, was not on the Insurance policy. The police report says they were at fault (i was backing into my driveway from a residential street and, got hit by a car, the driver had no drivers license and, was not on the insurance policy the police repo
rt says they were at fault)

1. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

15

Best Answer

Answered . If you were injured seek medical attention, report the incident to your insurance carrier and consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to protect your interests..

2. George Costas Andriotis

14

Answered . Consult a personal injury attorney ASAP to investigate and protect your rights.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  3. Stephen Andrew Hamer

11

Answered . Report to your insurance company. Get medical attention to document any injuries. Call local personal injury/car accident attorney.

4. Jonathan David Marx

12

1

Answered . Report the incident to your insurance provider, if injured seek medical attention and consult with a personal injury attorney in your area. Best of luck.

5. Rogelio Garcia

9

Answered . If you were injured by an un-insured motorist, then you should hire an experienced personal injury lawyer. He can then file a claim on your behalf against your uninsured motorist policy. That's assuming you have that type of coverage.

6. Gregory S. Baumgartner

Pro

8

Answered . Get your insurance policy out and see what type of coverage you have. If you have not done so contact your insurer who will also let you know what benefits may be available under your policy. For your property damage- make a claim against your own policy and let your insurer collect from the driver of the other vehicle. If you have collision coverage ask that your insurer "sue for or collect" your deductible. If you were injured, call a local injury lawyer.

7. Daniel Knight Dinneen

Pro

8

Answered . A lot of attorneys have already given you good advice in this post--i.e. seek medical treatment and contact a personal injury attorney.

It should also be mentioned, however, that you should not give up hope of a recovery. Even though the would-be defendant was uninsured and without license, that does not mean that you cannot still get money from -somebody-.

Specifically, it may be that somebody else was negligent in entrusting the vehicle to the driver who hit you. (Given that the driver had no license and no insurance, there is actually a strong likelihood that you can prove this assuming the vehicle belongs to somebody other than the driver.)

Or, alternatively, perhaps the driver was intoxicated and the bar where he was drinking knowingly over-served him. Under this scenario, you might potentially have a dram shop claim and be able to recover against the bar.

The bottom line, however, is that you need to call a real lawyer and answer some more specific questions in order to better assess your case. General posts on websites like AVVO can point you in the right direction, but only a real, live lawyer can fully and accurately assess your situation.

Pro

9

1

Answered . If you were injured, call one of the above lawyers in your state, if not, let your insurance company resolve it, and move on with your life. Best bet is to not back in anywhere in the future.

9. Tatiana Kadetskaya

9

Answered . Injured, then call lawyer. No injuries, then report it to insurance co.

10. Curtis James Bickers

5

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys about seeking medical attention if you were injured. If you were not injured and the only thing damaged was your car, make a claim with your insurance company for the property damage.