Who pays for the re finance, after divorce?

Asked over 1 year ago - Milwaukee, WI

My Wife wanted the house after divorce. the Decree states, that she is responsible for outstanding financial obligations, and the other party shall be held harmless.

after a year later, she now wants to re fiance, and she wants me to pay half of the cost. My name is on the title and the mortgage. No where in the decree does it say anything about me paying to her or for the house.

1. Nicholas J.B. Pasquale

Pro

8

1

Answered . She is responsible, not you.

2. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

3

5

Answered . It sounds like your wife is solely responsible for this expense; however, I suggest you have your divorce documents carefully reviewed by a local attorney to be sure. Also, the fact that your name is still on the title and mortgage means you may have an interest in cooperating (or not) depending upon the circumstances regardless of what the divorce documents require. Good luck!

3. David Alexander Browde

Pro

3

1

Answered . So don't pay.

But remember: the bank is not bound by your divorce decree or settlement. You're still on the hook for the mortgage until she refinances.