Skip to main content

Who pays for medical in a hit and run in Los Angeles?

Los Angeles, CA |

If I get injured by a hit and run drver and need hospitalization and have no insurance, does the city pay for this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


Either the local police or a private investigator can likely find the driver. Call one of the above lawyers in your state to discuss all options.


You will ultimately be billed for the services though in Florida you can apply for assistance with hospital billing if you meet certain criteria.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


There isn't enough information in the post to fully answer your question. If the person who hit you was found or arrested, they should be help responsible . You need to speak to an attorney who can fully investigate your injury, and to see if the police may have any information on the driver. This is why speaking to a personal injury attorney is very important. Many firm, including my own, offer free consultations.

Under no Circumstances are the comments made on this message board meant to be legal advice or constitute an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice, seek help from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.


If you have uninsured motorist coverage, then your uninsured motorist coverage will pay. If there is no coverage at all, then you can apply to Medi-Cal if you qualify. You should speak to an attorney to discuss you accident.

Marc Lazarus


The first step is to try to identify the hit-and-run driver by canvassing the area for any traffic cameras and/or security cameras that may have captured the license plate of the hit-and-run vehicle. If you are unsuccessful in identifying the hit-and-run vehicle, then you should take the following steps to ensure your medical bills are paid.

First, report it to the police and obtain a police report. Second, make a claim to the California Victim of Violent Crime Program. Click here to see how to apply. You will need a copy of the police report and your bills. Do not be overly concerned that you do not see "Hit-and-run" as a qualifying crime. It is. Click here to see that hit-and-run is covered under the Victim of Violent Crime Program,

Further, you may apply to the county medical program to have your bills paid and/or check to see if the hospital has a charitable program that will pay for your bills.

If your injuries are significant, then I would recommend contacting a lawyer to assist you too. Often times, competent lawyers will be able to track down a hit-and-run vehicle through old fashion, gum-shoe investigation. Regardless of what you decide to do, I wish you the best.

Minh T. Nguyen

This is a legal disclaimer that my advice here are for general purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Further, my advice is based upon the limited information and facts that have been provided. Additional facts and/or circumstances may materially change or affect the advice that I would provide. Finally, I have not agreed to represent you and anyone else who may read my response. (Sorry for this legal disclaimer, but it is important for your protection and mine. You do not want to think that I am representing you when I have not agreed to do so. In order for me to act as your attorney, we would need to execute a retainer agreement setting for the terms of the relationship.) Thank you for your understanding.


If you were in a hit and run accident and sustained injuries, then you need to consult with a local attorney to review your case and help you find the driver that did this. Because I do not know further about the case, I do feel comfortable advising you further. I would be more than wiling to discuss your options through a free consultation. I have included a link below regarding hit and run accidents. Best of luck.
(310) 207-4030


Unfortunately you are ultimately responsible. If you have uninsured motorist coverage available you can make a claim for your medical expenses. If you qualify you can go to County Hospital either Harbor-UCLA or USC


I would consult, free of charge, an attorney that should explain your legal rights and the insurance coverage that may, or may not, be involved.


Assuming the hit and run driver cannot be identified, are you saying there is no insurance whatsoever for this case? If that is your assumption, I would warn you to consult an attorney specializing in car accident coverage, benefits and compensation. Coverage is not a simple issue for a post on a website.

24 Hour Attorney Call Center (314) 361-4242 or visit us on the Web at

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer