Who pays for damages in case of fire?

Asked about 2 years ago - New Orleans, LA

Recently, fire erupted outside of the house I am renting but it damaged few structures and fence. Landlord is saying I am responsible. Who pays for damages in case of fire? The fire is not my fault by the way.

.

1. Lauren G. Coleman

Answered . Normally the landlord is responsible for keeping the building he is renting in good repair. However the answer to your question depends on what is in the lease agreement. If a fire damaged your possessions inside your house, that is your responsibility. You can obtain renters insurance to protect you from destruction of your personal property inside the house you are renting.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now