Who owns medical records - the patient or the hospital?

Asked over 2 years ago - Fort Stewart, GA

I have a social security disability review upcoming but I do owe the hospital and the doctor some money. Can the medical records department withhold the release of my medical records to social security because of my debt?

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

5

4

Answered . No.

2. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . Medical records should not be withheld from a patient or another doctor because of lack of payment for services rendered. The American Medical Association also says that it is unethical for a Dr. to withhold records under the circumstances.You should complete a valid HIPAA release and request your records.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

3. Jacob Adam Regar

4

Answered . As the other attorneys answered, "no," your medical records cannot be withheld from you.

Pro

3

Answered . No

5. Adam Morrow

Pro

2

Answered . As others have said, you have a right to your medical records. Have an attorney write a letter to get them for you if you are being stonewalled.