Who owns an easement drive? Who pays taxes on that easement drive?

Portland, OR |

I am trying to establish my rights on an easement across what appears from records to be my plot.

An easement is a right to use someone else's property. If you own an easement, what you own is the right to access to someone else's land, typically because you need it to access some public route like a road or a river. If the property is yours, then you own it and pay taxes on it, and someone else owns the easement and can come on to your property there. You never own an easement on your own property - you already have the right to access all of your own land.

Nothing posted on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: jay@northwestlawoffice.com | Online: www.northwestlawoffice.com

Mr. Bodzin pretty much nailed it. There are a variety of different easements - actual, implied, constructive, created by the court ie by condemnation or to prevent someone from being landlocked. Just out of curiosity, why is this a problem for you?

http://www.portlandlegalservices.com

The comments by this author to questions posted on Avvo are designed to foster a general understanding of what might be the law governing the area of the legal problem stated and suggest what might be the approach to finding a legal solution. Under no circumstances is this author acting as the attorney for the party who posted the question or as the attorney for subsequent readers to the question or response and no attorney client relationship is being formed. This attorney's comments are not intended to be a substitute for getting legal advice from a licensed attorney. A reader of this author's comments should never act on the information provided in these comments as though these comments were legal advice and should always seek legal advice in a personal consultation with an attorney in their jurisdiction before taking action. The information provided here is not intended to cover every situation with similar facts. Please remember that the law varies between states and other countries and is always changing through actions of the courts and the Legislature.