Who needs to file form 8832, or do we even need to bother?

Asked 5 months ago - Seattle, WA

The INCOME TAX EXEMPTIONS section of our parenting plan has each parent claiming one of our two children each year. My ex (the noncustodial parent) stated that she wouldn't benefit by claiming the child allocated to her return this year and that I should claim both children for the first time since our divorce. This sounds terrific, however I'm confused by the other two statements in that section:

- If the party to whom the exemption is awarded is unable to utilize the exemption...the other party may utilize the exemption

- The parents shall sign the federal income tax dependency exemption wavier (IRS Form 8832 Release Of Claim...)

Does anyone still need to file an 8832, or can I simply claim both children this year? My ex already filed her taxes without the 8832 and no children.

Additional information

Avvo doesn't appear to let me edit the question. As Charles R. Smith correctly notes, the form listed on our parenting plan and that we filed previously was 8332. Thank you, Charles!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Charles R Smith

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . The form you need is actually 8332 (not 8832). There are exceptions to having to file the form, but avoid potential future problems and get it signed just in case. Good luck

    The above "answer" is for discussion purposes only and is neither intended as legal advice nor to create an... more
  2. Brian Joseph Munson

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Get the form signed and file it with your return. Even if you think it is unnecessary, look at it as a CYA kind of thing. Also, the IRS may look for it.

    This answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship, Moreover, this attorney is Licensed to practiced... more
  3. Thomas J. Wagner

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you are the custodial parent there is no need to have form 8332 signed unless you have signed one in the past waiving your right for 2013.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,868 answers this week

3,177 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,868 answers this week

3,177 attorneys answering