Who makes decision on asylum case?

Manhattan, KS |

In my asylum interview at Kansas City field office, the interviewing officer looked convinced about the danger to my life by the Taliban if I returned back to my country Afghanistan.
After the interview, when I asked him would my case be referred to the immigration judge if it is rejected he said that although he could not tell me on the spot that I would be granted asylum, he could tell me that I had a good interview. I took that as a good sign. He also told me that I would receive a mail containing the decision on my case after 2 to 4 weeks.
More than 3 months has passed without any decision but they said my case is being processed and is under review and a final decision has not been made.
Does the interview officer make the decision or there is a team? What can be the delay for?

Usually the interviewing officer will make the decision.

Please see

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. Interviewing officer or supervisor

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

3. My colleagues are correct.

Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.