Who legally has the right to put items on a slab over a cemetery plot when there is proof of purchase for the slab?

Sulphur Springs, TX |
Filed under: Estate planning

Mr.JandMrL.parentdied12yearsago.MrJwasnamedthebeneficiaryoftheinsurancepolicy.Hesupposedlypaidforthefuneralbutdidnotbuyaheadstoneforthegrave.TherewasalsoawillthatnamedbothascoexecutorsthatwasnotprobatedbyMr,J.MrJrefusedtogiveMrLtheoriginalcopytofileaswell..MrLrecentlypurchasedaslabandheadstonewithhismoney.(hasreceiptstoprove)Theheadstoneisthereandheisworkingwithacompanytoputotheritemsontheslab(bench,vases,etc)andhasputhismoneydownontheitemsandtheyareintheprocessofbeingfinished.MrJismadbecausehedroppedtheballandisnowtryingtoalsodothesamethingwithanothercompanyandgethisdonefirst.Heisdoingthisoutofspite.WhatcanMrLdotostopMrJ?

The cemetery should be able to tell you this. The owner of the plot has this right. Sadly, the owner is often the deceased, in which case, the cemetery insists on the consent of all interested parties of the decedent's estate.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Wills and estates topics