Who legally are the parties I need to sue on personal injury case?

Asked about 2 years ago - North Hollywood, CA

I was sold molded expired (more than a year expired) cheese from a grocery store. My family consumed it and got sick. We were not hospitalized but we did have to go to the hospital. We endured, stress, stomach pain, diarrhea and other issues. I was also pregnant at the time. I filed a claim with the store, and their insurance company contacted me and gave me a claim number. The manufacturer also sent me a letter accepting responsibility for the cheese sold to me didn't pass quality control and apologized to me and my family. If I file a lawsuit, who are the legal parties that have to be named as the defendant on the complaint?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Marc Lazarus

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This case potentially involves a negligence cause of action, a product liability cause of action, and one or more breach of contract cause(s) of action against some or all of the following: the retail store, the distributor, and the manufacturer.

  2. Lars A. Lundeen


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The producer or manufacturer, the distributor of the cheese and the store that sold It are all potential defendants. I suggest that you retain an attorney to file this type of claim for you, as product liability claims are not something which I would recommend to the layperson. You also have potential claims for breach of warranty, breach of contract, negligence etc.

    You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

  3. Robert A. Stumpf

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Please don't go forward without a lawyer. It wouldn't make sense to do that.

    This is AVVO, a place for users to obtain general legal information to general legal questions. I am glad to help... more
  4. Louis Jasper Cutrone

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hi and I hope you are feeling better. Mold cheese, just a like a blender or a lawnmower is considered a "product" in California and product liability laws apply. Your questions asks who should be sued in a case like this. Well, under California product liability law, any entity or person involved in the design and manufacturing or involved in the chain of distribution is a potential defendant. So the maker the cheese, the importer of the cheese, and the retailer who sold you the cheese are all potential defendants who should be named in any lawsuit you choose to file.

    Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for... more
  5. Matthew A. Dolman


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The manufacturer, distributor and store are all potentially liable and on the hook. My advice is to consult with a licensed California personal injury attorney. Most personal injury attorneys offer a free consultation and case evaluation. It is essential to meet with an attorney at your earliest opportunity in order to preserve your claim in lieu of the statute of limitations.

    This advice should not be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship. Please contact a licensed... more

Related Topics

Injury from defective and dangerous products

Defective and dangerous products can make their manufacturers liable for injuries, but only if the product is unreasonably dangerous.

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,440 answers this week

2,932 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,440 answers this week

2,932 attorneys answering