Who keeps the engagement/ wedding ring when getting a divorce?

Tempe, AZ |
Filed under: Divorce

My husband and I have decided to get a divorce, but now he wants the engagement and wedding ring back. Not only that but he also wants all the jewelry that he has given to me over the course of our relationship as gifts (xmas, birthday, etc...) I dont want anything from him except to keep my ring.... who does it rightfully go to?

1. Generally speaking, if you had split up before the wedding, you'd have to return the ring, but since you did get married, the ring is considered a gift to you, and you are not obligated to return it. You are also not obligated to return any other gifts you received from him (or anyone else) during the marriage. I recommend you speak with an attorney to discuss your options and help you decide on the best course of action.

** This response is provided as general information only and does not constitute legal advice or otherwise establish an attorney-client relationship. **