Who is the responsible party for a faulty water meter, the City or the homeowner>

Asked 10 months ago - Saint Clair Shores, MI

Last week the St. Clair Shores Water Dept. upgraded their water meters, they had inside and outside meters. We now have RF meters. The tech told me my meter was off on the outside by 200 units, I received a bill for $1425.00, 2 days later. I have lived in my home for 10 yrs., they took the difference and divided it equally amongst the 10 yrs. with fluctuating water charges. Many residents are experiencing the same result due to their faulty meters. The Water Dept. offered me an interest free loan, at whatever price I could afford each month. Am I responsible for their error, and their faulty equipment?

1. James P. Frederick

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . You are not responsible for the faulty equipment. You are responsible for the water and sewer usage you used. It *sounds like* what essentially has happened is that you used way more water than what you were actually billed for. If this is true, I do not think you have a good argument for not paying. It sounds like they are making it relatively easy to pay off the debt. Unpaid water bills are a lien on the property, so I would make every effort to resolve this. If they are willing to accept modest installments, I would take them up on it. Since this was a problem for the past 10 years, see if they will accept payments over that time period. That would work out to payments of about $12 per month.

James Frederick

2. John F. Brennan

2

1

Answered . I would need more details but IF they are correct it appears that you owe for the service, however at least part of the bill is past the statute of limitations and not legally enforceable.