Who is the default manager of an LLC?

Asked 7 months ago - Denver, CO

Don't have an operating agreement. I filed paperwork with the state wherein I indicated that the LLC would be manager managed. Now the individual I hired is claiming an ownership interest because he was around at the beginning and wants to be 'bought out'. He contributed no capital but only took a salary. Who is the manager? Is the other guy a member because he claims he is? I'm the one responsible for filing the articles of organization, but he was listed as the person delivering them. Who is the manager?

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

5

Answered . Woah, you need to sit down with an attorney to straighten this out. Just because you filed your Articles of Organization with the Secretary of State does not even necessarily mean that you are a valid LLC. There should be bylaws as well for how your business is to be run and possibly even declarations. You might call yourself an LLC. However, the government might not even see it that way for tax purposes. You need an attorney's assistance on this.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

5

Answered . A message board is not going to yield the sort of advice you need in this complicated situation!! You need counsel pronto! Look for an attorneyt aht works int eh area of business formation and entity law for the help you need!

3. Michael Charles Doland

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . A manager is not necessarily a "Manager" as defined in the law on LLCs. (Manager in law in an LLC is like a Director on the Board of Directors for a corporation).

It sounds like a bluff to me, but you really need to speak with a local Colorado attorney, have your LLC books looked at and "perfected", and discuss in depth the factual and legal situation.

4. Robert John Murillo

2

Answered . The gambit by the employee "manager" borders on the ludicrous. A LLC is owned by its members. When you filed the articles you should have stated that it had at least one member, that member should have been you. The members vote for the manager. So unless you actually voted for this person to be the manager of the LLC in some plausible fashion, the employee's claims should not go very far.

Now, as noted by my colleagues, you need to speak with an attorney quickly to resolve this and to draft an appropriate operating agreement and other contracts to avoid problems like this.

5. John P Corrigan

1

1

Answered . who put in the capital to the business?
    who signed the paperwork as member?
    who opened the bank accounts as owner and signatory?
    are there written documents that speak to who is the owner and who is an employee?
    was the "manager" given a form K-1 or a Form W-2 to report compensation paid?
    who signed any lease obligation or other credit facilities as a member?
    who filed for SS-4 tax EIN and reported the ownership of the LLC?

Answers to the above questions is the starting point to start to figure out this mess and advise on next steps.